Recipe adapted from NPR
yields about 3 dozen small cookies
- 1 c unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c sugar
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 c all purpose flour
- ½ c almond meal*
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy and well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture until just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out ¼ inch thick. Cut using cookie cutters. Arrange on a lightly greased cookie sheet, spacing the cookies at least an inch apart. Alternatively, press the dough into a cookie mold to shape.
- 10 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are browned and slightly crisp.