These cookies would be a treat on Christmas morning with a steaming cup of coffee. Bright red cranberries and a hint of green from the pistachios keep them dressed up for the season.
Adapted from Kristen Jenkins’ recipe for Donna Hay Magazine
Yields about 80 cookies
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ c sugar
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 c dried cranberries
- 1 c shelled, unsalted pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla and zest, beating until just combined. Fold in the cranberries and pistachios.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll each portion into a log, about 10 inches long. Flatten slightly. Transfer both loaves to a parchment baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Once cool, cut each loaf into ¼ inch slices using a serrated knife. Arrange slices on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 8-0 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets.