Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lubiya



The recipe I used claims this is a Sephardi Isreali soup, though I can find little else about this black eyed pea stew. Stew or soup...it sounded incredibly hearty and very simple. And it's vegan and gluten free to boot!

Adapted from Main Courses 365 edited by Jenni Fleetwood

Serves 4

The Ingredients:
1 cup black-eyed peas
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium hot, or 2-3 mild fresh chilies, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
9 oz fresh or canned tomatoes, diced
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken, or beef for a non-vegan soup)
1 oz fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon

The Process:
Put the beans in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, then cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heats, cover and leave stand for two hours.

Drain the beans, return to pan, cover with fresh cold water, then simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the beans are tender. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions garlic and chili and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Stir in the cumin, turmeric, tomatoes, stock, half of the cilantro and the beans. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Stir in the lemon juice and remaining cilantro.

My Modifications:
Out of a force of habit, I had set up my beans to soak overnight, though the recipe did not call for that step. Once I noticed the error, I jumped right to the second step...simmering the beans for 30-45 minutes. In the end, they were tender but not mushy.

The chilies I used were 2 red fresno chili peppers. I also used a full 14 oz can of diced tomatoes. I did not find that the extra tomato overwhelmed any of the other flavors in the end.

The Review:
Hot soup. Cold Day. Always a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment