Friday, August 17, 2012

Stout S'mores Bars





I have many, many recipes bookmarked or flagged...online, in cookbooks, clipped from magazines or newspapers.  It will take me years to cook my way through all of them. But I carry on.

Very rarely do I come across a recipe that I need to make immediately.  The Beeroness has that effect on me.  You've seen a variation of her bacon jam.  And  beer marinaded pork chops.  A sriracha stout BBQ sauce.  Ale biscuits.  Her recipes inspire and encourage me like few other bloggers do. Perhaps it is my mild obsession with craft beer and home brewing.

This recipe is one I made the very same day that I found it.  I almost couldn't wait for the bars to cool down before I dug in.  Jackie's recipe uses Young's Double Chocolate Stout...a very tasty beer on its own.  Due to my impatience, I made due with the stout i had on hand, as well as the baker's chocolate in lieu of her chocolate chips.   

Still with the substitutions, I'm glad I didn't wait...

yields 12 bars

adapted from the Beeroness

Ingredients:
10 graham crackers
4 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1 stick butter
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup stout
24 large marshmallows



The Process:
Preheat oven to 350

Add the graham crackers and the brown sugar to a food processor and blend until an even crumb is formed.  With the food processor still running, slowly drizzle in the melted butter.  Process until the mixture resembles wet sand.

Spoon the crumb mixture into a 9 x 13 pan and press into an even layer.

In a medium  bowl, beat the eggs and both sugars on high until well combined, about 3 minutes.

Combine the chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time, stirring and repeating until melted and well combined. Allow to cool slightly.  Add the chocolate to the egg/sugar mixture and beat until well combined.

In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, salt and the flour. Add flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, mixing until well incorporated. Add the beer and stir until just combined.
Pour the batter over the crust and spread into an even layer.

Place marshmallows in even rows across the top, leaving a 1/2 inch boarder along the edge.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown.

The center of the bars should be soft but not soupy.  They will continue to set at the bars cool.  Allow to cool and cut into bars.

The Review:
Can't type...fingers sticky....




No comments:

Post a Comment