Sunday, May 15, 2011

Miso Glazed Salmon



I adore seafood. However, I am often at a loss for new ways to prepare fish. I'm a fan a simple sauces and minimal ingredients when it comes to fish, as to let the flavor of the fillet shine through. Enter miso. I had seen a few marinades, glazes and sauces using this paste tossed around on a friends' food blog and epicurious. However, hearing NPR's Kitchen Window segment on miso sold me on this preparation. With only three ingredients in the glaze, the hardest part was tracking down the miso!

adapted from NPR's Kitchen Window, April 20, 2011

serves 2

The Ingredients:
2 Tbsp white miso (any variety)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 lb sockeye salmon fillets
sesame seeds (optional)

The Process:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a small bowl, whisk together the miso, soy sauce and honey, adding more honey if it's too salty for your taste. Brush the fillets with the miso glaze. Place the fish on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for about 8 minutes or until opaque inside, and the flesh flakes easily. When done, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.

My Modifications:
Eve's orginal recipe called for halibut, but what glaze seemed to work equally well on salmon. As the recipe recommended, I used equal amount of honey, soy sauce sauce and miso and found no need to adjust the amounts to taste. The salmon did need to bake closer to 12 minutes to cook through.

The Review:
One pound of salmon yielded three dinner sized fillets, however the dish was so loved that when I went to wrap up the third fillet, I discovered Ross had already devoured it! The dish was simple and elegant. As I mentioned early, the hardest part was finding the miso. Two Asia markets did not carry it, nor did our higher end grocer. We finally discovered a few varieties at our co-op, the Wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment