Sunday, April 3, 2011

Honey Roasted Pork Tenderloin

I wanted something sweet and citrus-y to glaze the pork tenderloin thawing in my fridge. This recipe conveniently used items I already had on hand in my pantry. And unlike many other pork glazes and sauces out there...this one did NOT contain mustard, which greatly appealed to Ross.

adapted from Lisa's recipe at food.com

serves 4

The Ingredients:
lbs pork loin (boneless)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup chicken broth

The Process:
Preheat the oven to 375.

Season the pork and place in a roasting pan.
In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, juice, oil and thyme. Pour over the pork. Add the broth to the pan. Bake until internal temperature reaches 150 (45-60 minutes) basting frequently.

Strain the pan juices into a saucepan. Reduce until slightly thickened. Serve over the sliced pork.


My Modifications:
The juice came from a small honey tangerine, which yielded a scant 1/4 cup. I used the entire amount which greatly increased quantity and the sweetness factor of the sauce. I also substituted beef broth for chicken.

The Review:
Well, this recipe certainly has the "sweet" portion of my craving down, but it was somewhat lacking in the "citrus" area.

Perhaps my own modification is to blame...honey tangerines are quite sweet, and in the end I fell as though the glaze needed a little bit of tart to balance everything.
But the sauce was almost cloying. Good, but just a bit too floral. The honey was a bit too dominate.

Despite the honey's strength, all of the flavors did shine through beautifully. And I think the beef broth added a much needed depth that most store variety chicken broths just don't have. I had amply salted the tenderloin before drizzling on the honey mixture, which did help as well. But next time a tarter orange, or maybe a small squirt of lemon...something just a tad more sour or astringent...to help subdue the sweetness.

I wonder how a bit of garlic or ginger might shake things up....

No comments:

Post a Comment